Purpose of this Session
The Scriptures clearly show us signs and indicators to watch for, both positive and negative. Sometimes it is easy to be consumed with the negative, but in the midst of gross darkness, the light of the gospel and God’s people will shine ever brighter.
1. A universal outpouring of the Holy Spirit on all flesh will take place before Christ’s coming. (Joel 2:28-32; James 5:7-8) This began on the Day of Pentecost and will consummate in the final days.
2. The Gospel of the Kingdom is to be preached to all nations for a powerful witness before the end comes. (Mat. 24:14)
Over 50 million Bibles are distributed every year, as well as nearly 80 million New Testaments. Four billion Gospel tracts are also printed each year. The entire Bible, or parts thereof, are now available to about 98% of the world's population, having been translated partially or entirely into some 2,233 different languages. The Internet has also seen a proliferation of Gospel sites.
3. The Church of the latter days is to be restored to its early glory (Acts 3:19-21; Eph 5:23-32). The Lord is going to present to Himself a glorious Church without spot or blemish. It will be a victorious Church. (Mat. 16:15-20)
4. The prayer of Christ for the unity of His Church will come to fulfilment, in order that the world will see such a witness before Christ returns. (John 17)
5. The Church will bring in the final harvest of souls into the Kingdom of God.
Whilst the signs outlined above are held in general agreement by the major schools of eschatology, there are other signs which are also believed to herald the time of Christ’s coming which may not necessarily be held to by all. These largely pertain to national Israel, which some consider to be the timepiece of end time chronology.
· The formation of the Jewish homeland of Israel in 1948. (Isa 66:8)
· The return of the Jewish people to their God-given land from the four corners of the earth, in particular, from the land of the North. (Jer 16:14-16).
· An outpouring of God’s Spirit on the Jewish nation. (Zech 12:10; Rom 11:25-26)