Purpose of this Session
Bible prophecy is an amazing thing. When we see how clearly God has revealed the future to His prophets we can be nothing but humbled. The Old Testament abounds with prophetic utterances pointing to both the first and second comings of Christ.
Some prophets speak of both comings in almost one breath, and this has caused confusion for some who did not recognise Christ in His first appearing because they were looking for those characteristics that will be present at His second coming. The suffering servant (Christ’s first advent), and the reigning victorious King (His second), are both clearly spoken of, but the chronology of these appearances was sometimes hidden to the eye of the prophet. Some have described this as “the mountain peaks of prophecy”. By this, they refer to the fact that the prophets saw the peaks of prophetic events through history, and to their eye they looked to be one event. Their viewpoint did not reveal the valley that lay between them.
Old Testament references to the Second Coming of Christ
1. Amazingly, Enoch foresaw the second coming (Jude 14-15)
2. Jacob prophesied the second coming (Genesis 49:10)
3. Isaiah spoke of the second coming (Isaiah 59:20; 13:6-9)
4. Jeremiah prophesied the second coming (Jeremiah 23:5-6)
5. Ezekiel spoke of Christ’s second coming (Ezekiel 34:23-29; 43:7)
6. Daniel spoke of the second coming (Dan 2:44-45; 7:13-14)
7. Joel spoke of the second coming (Joel 2:28-3:21)
8. Micah spoke of the second coming (Micah 2:12-13; 4:1)
9. Nahum spoke of the second coming (Nahum 1:5-6)
10. Zechariah spoke of the second coming (Zech 12:4-14; 13:1-9)
11. Malachi spoke of the second coming (Malachi 3:1)