SYMBOLS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
- Water (John 7:38-39; 1 Cor 12:13; Psalm 72:6) – Life-giving flow, refreshing and satisfying, washing and cleansing.
- Fire (Matthew 3:11; Isaiah 4:4) – Holiness; the Spirit sent forth to cleanse and to purge, purify and enliven with zeal.
- Wind or Breath (Acts 2:2; Ezekiel 37:9-10; John 3:8) – Life-giving breath, regeneration. Invisible yet His effects are clearly seen.
- Dew (Psalm 133:1-3) – The refreshing work of the Spirit in the life of the Church.
- Oil (Luke 4:18; 1 John 2:20,27) – Speaks of consecration and supernatural enablement of the Spirit’s graces, the illumination of His teaching, and the balm of His presence.
- The Dove (Matthew 3:16; Luke 3:22) – Purity, beauty, gentleness and peace – the nature and character of the Spirit.
- The Seal (Ephesians 1:13; 4:30; 2 Cor 1:22) – Signifies ownership, genuineness and security.
- The Still Small Voice (1 Kings 19:11-13) – The voice of God within man bringing revelation of His will.
- The Finger of God (Luke 11:20; Matthew 12:28) – The Spirit points the accusing finger at the sinner, bringing conviction and affecting decision to accept Jesus as their Advocate.
- The First Fruits (Romans 8:23) – Symbolic of the full harvest to come. The Spirit’s initial work of regeneration points of the full salvation and glorification of the believer.
- The Earnest (2 Cor 1:22; 5:5; Ephesians 1:13-14) – Down payment, pledging more to come. Similar to first-fruits.
- Enduement (Luke 24:49) – The clothing of the Spirit upon someone.
- The Number Seven (Seven Lamps Rev 1:2-3; Seven Horns Rev 5:6; Seven eyes Rev 5:6; The seven Spirits are outlined in Isaiah 11:2) – Symbolises the Spirit’s perfect illumination, power and defence, insight and discernment.
TITLES OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
These set forth different aspects of the Spirit’s ministry and character
Titles of Deity
The titles of the Holy Spirit set forth the Holy Spirit’s deity and association/ distinction with the Father and the Son.
- The Spirit / The Holy Spirit / The Holy Spirit of God (John 3:6-8; Luke 11:13; Ephesians 4:30)
- The Spirit of the Lord/ The Spirit of God / The Spirit of the Lord God / The Spirit which is of God (Luke 4:18; 1 Cor 3:16; Isaiah 61:1; 1 Cor 2:12)
- The Spirit of the Living God (2 Cor 3:3)
- The Spirit of the Father (Matthew 10:20)
- The Spirit of Jesus Christ / The Spirit of Christ (Philippians 1:19; Romans 8:9)
- The Spirit of His Son (Galatians 4:6)
Attributes and Ministry
Set forth aspects of the Holy Spirit’s essential and moral attributes.
- The Spirit of Wisdom and Understanding/ Spirit of Wisdom and Revelation (Isaiah 11:2; Eph 1:17)
- The Spirit of Knowledge (Isaiah 11:2)
- The Spirit of Counsel and Might (Isaiah 11:2)
- The Spirit of the Fear of the Lord (Isaiah 11:2)
- The Spirit of Grace and Supplications (Zechariah 12:10)
- The Spirit of Judgement (Isaiah 4:4)
- The Spirit of Burning (Isaiah 4:4)
- The Breath (inspiration) of the Almighty (Job 32:8; 33:4)
- The Spirit of Him Who raised Jesus from the dead (Romans 8:11)
- The Power of the Highest (Luke 1:35)
- The Eternal Spirit (Hebrews 9:14)
- The Spirit of Holiness (Romans 1:4)
- The Comforter (Counsellor, Strengthener, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Standby AMP) (John 14:16,26; 15:26; 16:7)
- The Spirit of Love, Power and a Sound Mind (2 Timothy 1:7)
- The Spirit of Truth / The Anointing which teaches us / The Unction from the Holy One (John 14:17; 15:26; 16:13; 1 John 4:6; 2:20,27)
- The Spirit of Life (Romans 8:2; Rev 11:11)
- The Spirit of Adoption (Romans 8:15)
- The Spirit of Faith (2 Cor 4:13)
- The Spirit of Promise (Ephesians 1:13-14)
- The Spirit of Grace (and of supplications) (Hebrews 10:29; Zech 12:10)
- The Spirit of Glory (1 Peter 4:14)
- The Spirit of Prophecy (Rev 19:10)
- The Good Spirit (Nehemiah 9:20; Psalm 143:10)
- The Free Spirit (Psalm 51:12)
- The Greater One Who lives in us (1 John 4:4)